Dear 20-Something and Frustrated Females...


I saw a friend post a status the other day expressing how she wasn't where she wanted to be in life and how her friends who finished college are living their dreams and have happy families. She mentioned how she felt at the age of 26 she was now finishing college and maybe her life would have been in a much better place if she just had done what she was suppose to do. I also graduated college at the age of 26. I wasn't thinking of my age and how many of my friends graduated before me I was just thinking how it was finally over and I can finally move on to another chapter in my life. Not really sure where I''m going with this maybe it's an open letter or just a rant, but bear with me.

Am I the only 20-something year old female who is content with life and where I am besides my other close female friends? I mean I'm not married, no kids...yet (thank goodness), I have a couple of projects I'm working on overseas and a few here in the city. I'm building an empire for myself and future family. Never in my life did I feel like I needed a significant other to feel "whole" or really happy so it confuses me when I hear women say that. Don't get me wrong yes it does get lonely at times and there are moments where you want to talk to someone on an intimate level to share your deep thoughts with, but I never got the feeling of " oh my gosh I'm in my mid-20's no husband. No kids. My life is over!" Sometimes I feel like something is wrong with me because I do not act or feel this way about these kind of situations. Maybe it's the feminist in me or watching way to many real housewife reality shows. 



If there is anything I have learned it's definitely not to envy what other people have. How are we so sure that the families we see outside their environment are really happy? Maybe your friends are in a better position than mine, but I see soo many people that I use to hang out with married with more than two children, living on welfare or at their parents house and can barely pay bills with only one car for transportation if any at all. What's wrong with today's generation is that we still think that at the age of 25 you have to have it all. You have to have that big job, white picket fence and happy family or at least be married and sadly this crap about "living the perfect life by the age of 25" comes from our parents and peers who are already married and living that lifestyle. We cant even open a magazine with out reading some dumb article about the perfect color lipstick to wear to attract a guy. really?! Lipstick?! I don't even wear make-up so I guess that must mean I'll be single for the rest of my life. Some have it better than others and for the rest of us it just isn't time yet. So if you're 25 and have no children give yourself a pat on the back. Go travel the world (maybe you'll meet a nice man with a sexy accent), get a full time job with nice benefits or start your own business so you can pay off debt and bills. Focus on yourself because if you don't feel 100% about you no one else will. 


If you've never seen Charlize Theron's movie "Young Adult" I highly suggest you watch it as it relates to this blog.

I just wrote this for any other ladies feeling the way this girl did. Just please stop comparing your life to other people. If there was a book on how to have the perfect life by 25 we could all read and do everything that book said and still end up on different paths.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Life Gives You Lemons Make Orange Juice and Leave the World Wondering How You Did It

Don't Use Your Children As An Excuse